NPQLPM (Leading Primary Mathematics)
What is the National Professional Qualification for Leading Primary Mathematics (NPQLPM)?
The NPQ Leading Primary Maths is the newest programme released by the DfE. The programme is designed to support teachers with learning how to use mastery approaches to teach maths effectively in the classroom.
NPQLPM is designed for:
- Teachers and leaders with responsibility for leading maths across a primary key-stage or school, or those who want to have this responsibility
- Teachers familiar with mastery approaches to teaching primary maths, who want to improve leadership skills in this area
- Subject leaders in a school already engaged in the primary Teaching for Mastery programme or similar programme example
What is the time commitment?
This course will:
- Take 12 months to complete
- Involve an average of 1 to 2 hours of study each week
- Be a mix of self-study and group sessions
- Have a written assessment
- Start February 2024
What is the time course structure?
The course includes 10 topics, outlined in the course framework. Providers use this framework to design their course.
The course includes:
- Independent study
- Group coaching
- Face-to-face sessions with other participants
You’ll need to spend 1 to 2 hours a week working on this NPQ.
If you can, you should do this during work hours in career development time.
Full funding is available for all teachers who work in state-funded schools and state-funded 16-19 institutions in England.
Additional funding for small schools
Just like our other NPQs, if you are a teacher in a small school you may be eligible for additional funding for the NPQLPM.
- Primary schools with 150 or fewer pupils will receive £800 per member of staff participating in NPQs
- State-funded secondary schools and state-funded 16-19 educational settings with one to 600 pupils will receive £200 for each member of staff participating in NPQs