NPQEL (Executive Leadership)
Who is it for?
The National Professional Qualification for Executive Leadership (NPQEL) is designed to provide development for aspiring and current Executive Leaders / MAT leads / CEOs / Trust Improvement Directors / Executive Heads / Federation Leads.
|Course duration||Self-led study hours||Live teaching hours
(online & face-to-face)
|Action learning set hours|
|21 months||25 hours||62 hours||20 hours|
This 21 month programme is made up of three teaching cycles. Within each cycle you are required to complete:
Throughout the course you will cover:
Teaching Cycle 1:
- Trust culture
- Organisational management
Teaching Cycle 2:
- Working in partnership
- Governance and accountability
- Implementation and case study
Teaching Cycle 3:
- Professional development
- Curriculum and assessment
- Additional and special educational needs and disabilities
Your learning experience
Across the programme you will take part in five teaching cycles. Across these phases you can expect to learn through:
- Reading course materials and recommended texts
- Virtually delivered webinars
- Break out room discussions
- Online group discussion forums
- Listening to podcasts
- Watching video content
- Listening and note-taking
- Examples and discussion with experienced school leaders
- Expert coaching in a small group
- Skills practice within a small group
- Reflection and journaling
For more detailed programme information take a look at the NPQEL Course Overview (PDF)
*Please note the next programme begins February 2023.
In order to successfully complete NPQH you will need to demonstrate at least 90% attendance at both Activate and Apply sessions.
You will also need to pass the summative assessment which takes place at the end of the programme. The summative assessment takes the form of a case study review and is completed as an open book assessment over an 8-day window. To pass you will need to achieve a mark of 60% of above.
Further information about assessment will become available throughout the course of your NPQ programme.
Cost: Fully funded to all state schools