NPQSL (Senior Leadership)
The National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership (NPQSL) is designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities.
|Course duration||Self-led study hours||Live teaching hours
(online & face-to-face)
|21 months||30 hours||45 hours||10 hours|
This 15 month programme is made up of four teaching cycles. Within each cycle you are required to complete:
Throughout the course you will cover:
Teaching Cycle 1: School culture and teaching
Teaching Cycle 2: Implementation, operational management and governance
Teaching Cycle 3: Curriculum and professional development
Teaching Cycle 4: Partnership, Additional/SEND and behaviour
Your learning experience
Across the programme you will take part in 4 teaching cycles. Across these phases you can expect to learn through:
- Reading course materials and recommended texts
- Virtually delivered webinars
- Break out room discussions
- Online group discussion forums
- Listening to podcasts
- Watching video content
- Listening and note-taking
- Examples and discussion with experienced school leaders
- Expert coaching in a small group
- Skills practice within a small group
- Reflection and journaling
For more detailed programme information take a look at the NPQSL Course Overview (PDF)
- NPQSL - January 2022 - December 2022
- NPQSL - March 2022 - April 2023
- NPQSL - November 2022 - April 2024
In order to successfully complete NPQSL you will need to demonstrate at least 90% attendance at both Activate and Apply sessions.
You will also need to pass the summative assessment which takes place at the end of the programme. The summative assessment takes the form of a case study review and is completed as an open book assessment over an 8-day window. To pass you will need to achieve a mark of 60% of above.
Further information about assessment will become available throughout the course of your NPQ programme.
Cost: £1,135 (Fully funded for all state schools)